Sunday, October 11, 2009

Chapter 36


At my 38-week appointment I was so miserable and the baby was so low and heavy in my belly I felt like he would be born at any time. The nurse checked me and said that I was dilated to 4 centimeters already and that I could go into labor soon. I was thrilled to hear that!
The weekend passed and I was so miserable and unsure so I went to be checked that Monday. A different nurse checked me and said that I was really only 3 centimeters and was not in labor. This did not help my one bit. She told me to come back on Friday and they would schedule me for an induction. I was induced with my first two children and really liked that I could know when I was going to deliver and could make plans to have someone watch the kids while I was in the hospital.
Unfortunately the doctor who checked me that Friday said I was only at 2 centimeters. What! Was I closing back up? (Ladies, just a side note – make sure at the end of your pregnancy that you are checked by the same person each time) Still though she agreed that we should schedule an induction. I asked for Monday which was St Patrick’s day and my original due date. She said a nurse would call me and let me know by the end of the day. I waited and prayed about the timing of this birth but the nurse never called. I called back at the end of the day and the nurse said there was no opening until Wednesday.
So Wednesday morning finally came and I didn’t sleep at all. I couldn’t get comfortable enough to sleep or eat or stand or sit I just wished my body would go into labor on its own. But I was at the mercy of the hospital and I was to call at 6am to see if there was a bed available, which I did. The person who answered the phone said “sorry we had too many women come in over night and there is no room. You will have to wait. We will call you when we can work you in.” I’m sure you can imagine how that felt. I was mad and sad and worried but mostly mad. I thought surely they don’t realize how important this baby is. If only they knew what we had been through.
I called back a little later on because I wasn’t sure if I could eat anything since you are not supposed to before an induction. I called and asked and told them to please know that previously I had lost a baby and if they could just keep that in mind and try to get me in. The lady was very kind and said she would personally call me as soon as she knew and that for sure they would get me in by midnight. By this point I just wanted to know when and midnight seemed so long from then.
My brother and sister-n-law (Jay and Caroline) were in town and hoping to be at the hospital to greet the new baby. I called my brother and told him what was going on. They came over to the house and I was so glad for any thing to distract me from the waiting. This was perfect timing because at 3:00 the lady from the hospital called and said, “come in.” I said, “could you repeat that I didn’t hear you?” She said “get your things and come now.” “Oh! Joey lets go and not give them a chance to change their minds.” And because Jay and Caroline were there we could leave the kids home and take off. We got to the hospital so quick I don’t even remember the ride there.

No comments:

Post a Comment